In Romeo & Juliet, Friar Lawrence is the priest that marries Romeo and Juliet. Friar Lawrence was one of the few that knew about Romeo and Juliet's relationship and he also knew about Romeo's relationship with Rosaline. Friar Lawrence believes that the marriage between Romeo and Juliet will end the feud between their families, the Montague's and the Capulet's.
When Romeo first tells him that he wants to marry Juliet, Friar Lawrence was skeptical. He knew that Romeo had just gotten out of a relationship with Rosaline not that long ago. He states "Holy Saint Francis, what a change is here! Is Rosaline, that thou didst love so dear so soon forgotten?" (2.3.69-70). He then thinks that Romeo was never actually in love with Rosaline and he only liked her for her looks. Friar Lawrence didn't believe that Romeo would've moved on so quickly if he was really in love with Rosaline. Then, Friar Lawrence believed that this marriage will end the rivalry between their two families forever.
In my opinion, I believe that what Friar Lawrence did was wrong but what he thought when he said yes was ethical. I think that if he said no to the marriage, Romeo and Juliet would find someone else to marry them and the Friar just helped them out. I also thought that when the Friar believed that the marriage will end the rivalry, he wasn't wrong and he actually wanted the feud to end. He agreed to the marriage because he thought it would benefit everyone and not cause harm. He says, "In one respect I'll thy assistant be, For this alliance may so happy prove To turn your households' rancor to pure love." (2.3.98-99). On the other hand, I don't think that marrying Romeo and Juliet was the best thing to do at the time. He knew that Romeo had been in love with Rosaline for a while and the Friar knew that Romeo had just met Juliet only a couple hours before. The Friar also knew how obsessed Romeo was with Rosaline. He didn't believe that Romeo was over Rosaline and that he was really in love with Juliet. Friar Lawrence says, "So soon forsaken? Young men's love then lies Not truly in their hearts, but in their eyes." (2.3.71-72). The Friar knew about Romeo's relationship with Rosaline and how quickly he "fell in love" with Juliet but he still married them because he thought that it will end the feud between their two families.
In conclusion, I think that what Friar Lawrence did was both ethical and unethical. What he thought would come as a result of the marriage wasn't wrong. However, when he actually married Romeo and Juliet, he knew about their situation and their past and history but he still married them because he thought that this marriage was going to change what the families thought of each other. I think that what the Friar did was impulsive. He thought that the marriage will fix the rivalry and he didn't consider the consequences if the marriage wasn't accepted in the families. He didn't see what would happen if the marriage wouldn't work out and instead, he married them quickly. Overall, I think Friar Lawrence was ethical and unethical but he also thought too impulsively. If he would of thought more about if Romeo was really in love with Juliet, he would've seen the different outcomes this marriage can have.
I agree that his thoughts were ethical, however what he did was not wrong. Either way, Romeo and Juliet would have gotten married, and Friar Lawrence clearly states that he will wed them out of "one respect."
ReplyDeleteBut wither way, your blog post was very elaborate and I believe that you used great evidence to prove your point.
I totally agree with your response because it was actually really obvious that Friar Lawrence only agreed to marry Romeo and Juliet for the feud. Overall, great details and elaboration! :)
ReplyDelete